‘It’s not just a question of grinding together the tomatoes, onions and coriander and cooking it with the meat and garam masala. It all comes down to a sleight of hand.‘
Mutton – ¼ kg
Onions – 2
Tomatoes – 2
Coriander leaves – a handful
Black pepper powder – 2 tsp
Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
Adrak – lehsun – ¾ tsp
- Clean the meat and trim off excess fat. Wash, drain and keep ready.
- Chop the onions roughly.
- Deseed and chop the tomatoes similarly.
- Wash coriander and grind together with onions and tomatoes in the mixer
- Resultant paste should be slightly green in colour
- In the pressure cooker, mix the paste with the mutton, pepper powder, garam masala powder and salt and a little water.
- Cook for three to four whistles until the mutton is tender.
- Open the pressure cooker and add oil. Cook together stirring continuously until the saalan is not watery and acquires a thick consistency.